Which State to Register in?
Your bike make and model will determine where we register it. For most bikes that aren’t financed, we choose Montana because there is zero sales tax, meaning you will have the most affordable registration.
Other states we register in are Arizona, Utah, and South Dakota. This all depends on the vehicle year, engineer CC’s, and ownership proof you have.
When it comes to helping you make your ATV street legal, it is vital that you submit the right information or if you aren’t sure, just call us!
For Arizona plates and titles, we have the following criteria:
- You have a bill of sale. You are not financing.
- 120cc engine or less
- You hold a Certificate of Origin (MCO). Bike was purchased from a private party
- Electric motor
For South Dakota plates and titles, we have the following criteria:
- Gas powered. Not electric
- Not a trials bike, pit bike, or mini bike.
- Over 119cc
- Title, Transferable Registration (from your state), MCO, or a Bill of Sale (if financed)
Do I Owe Sales Tax on an ATV?
South Dakota sales tax is 4%.
Arizona sales tax is 6%.
Both are calculated using the ATV vehicle purchase price.
5 Star Registration will invoice you for tax if you owe it.
Cost for ATV Streel Legal Registration $399
Registration Time Frames:
- South Dakota:
- For license plate and registration, it takes 2-3 weeks. If financing, 3-6 weeks.
- For license plate and registration, it takes 2-3 weeks. If financing, 4-7 weeks.
What Documents Do We Need To Make Your ATV Street Legal?
- For a South Dakota Plate:
- ID/Passport/Drivers License (Copy)
- Social Sec. Card, 1099, W2, 1098, or Pay Stub copy (your full Social Security number must be displayed)
- Title/MCO with Bill of Sale, Transferable Registration, or just a Bill of Sale (if financing)
- Sales Tax or Proof of tax paid (in the form of a dealer bill of sale or DMV tax receipt)
- For an Arizona Plate:
- ID/Passport/Drivers License (Copy)
- Title, Certificate of origin, Transferable registration, or just a bill of sale if that’s all you have
- Sales Tax or Proof of tax paid
Once you submit your order, we’ll get to work right away. We are the fastest registration service. Your plates, registration, and new title will be sent directly to you.
After your first year of registration, you will pay the DMV directly. We will get the renewals for the license plates and forward these to you, or if you listed your own address for the mailing address, the renewals will come back to you. If you prefer, you can renew your plates online with 5starregistration contact us.
What Our Customers Say:
Why Should You Choose Us?
- We only charge you $1 to start. We bill you when we complete the work you hired us to do.
- We are the fastest registration service. Most other businesses take 5-6 weeks to complete. We do the work in under half that time.
- We don’t try to up-sell you anything or mark up any state or county fees. If you want a custom license plate, we do charge a additional $299 for that.
Street Legal ATV Registration FAQs
Is ATV registration mandatory to be considered Street Legal?
With certain exceptions, every owner of an ATV needs to make it street legal for off-road usage. Contact us to learn more about who is required to get an ATV license and how to do it. Keep in mind that all states require ATV riders to have a valid driver’s license.
Should I have the ATV registration all the time with me while riding?
Yes, your registration card should be with you at all times while riding your ATV on public roads. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer and happen to be driving an unregistered ATV, you will face a hefty fine and criminal charges.
Are there communities that don’t allow the use of street legal ATVs?
While street legal ATVs can be used anywhere, there are communities that have banned the use of ATVs on public roads due to concerns about noise, fumes, and the potential damage that these off-road vehicles can cause to the public roads.